ENJOY A VISIT
For a map of where the Sanctuary is located and directions click here.
VISITOR CENTRE AND HISTORIC WALK
The Sanctuary’s award winning Visitor Centre is open:
Weekends only 10am-4pm.
Closed Christmas and New Years Day.
Visitors to the entrance building will view detailed information and displays on the project. Sanctuary members are on hand to answer questions and provide directions if required. The Visitor Centre building is the result of significant community collaboration.
- A local architect donated the award-winning design;
- funding was provided by Canterbury Community Trust and the Baigent Family Trust;
- Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology Carpentry school students and tutors undertook initial construction as a donation and as part of the training programme;
- local businesses and individuals donated supplies, time and services to complete the building; and
- a grant from the Ministry of Tourism provided funds for displays within it.
Currently there is a lovely walk (45 mins return) alongside the stream and 19th Century waterworks. This takes you through diverse secondary forest full of ferns and fruiting trees and bird numbers are increasing here as we are carrying out extensive predator trapping through the whole site. Work is under way on a Loop track with wheel chair access to the Sanctuary.
Current Weather information
If planning a walk in and around the Brook Sanctuary please check the forecast, and be prepared for the conditions. For a forecast click here forecast To check out the rainfall for the Sanctuary, at third house click here rainfall